Friday, June 20, 2008

Not your typical Walk in the Park

This morning, I just had my 2 little ones home and I let them sleep in.....a little. Our mornings are so very rushed. Even though we are not bound to a tight school schedule, we still have obligations that require us to get out the door at lightning speed.
Except for today.
So, we did not go the gym. Instead I cleaned up around the house and the children got to eat a home-made breakfast. (hold your applause, please) I told the kids that for my morning exercise we would walk to the park. Not drive, which would turn out to be a gigantic flaw in the plan.
So, we loaded Tatumn up in her stroller and Tucker donned his helmet and scooter for our trip to the park.
Our journey there took about 10 or so minutes.
Once there, Tatumn got on a swing and Tucker tackled the skate park.
Tucker wanted to show me some "cool moves" so we walked over to the skate park and cheered him on.
I announced we had only 11 minutes left to play because I needed to shower before we picked up Tanner from Summer School.
As I was walking Tatumn back to the swings Tucker let out a HUGE SCREAM and when I turned to see what was wrong he was prostrate screaming in PAIN!
I guided him back to a bench to assess the damage. His knee was bruised and he told me he thought it was broken. I had enough sense in me to remember that he is only 8 and not a DOCTOR.
Okay, here is where it gets comical.
A police man drove down the parking lot and noticed we were in a little bit of distress and decided to come and check it out for himself.
He asked Tucker some questions about what happened, asked who I was, and if Tuck needed an ice bag. I assured him I was "his mom...mommy...mother." And that an ice bag would be good.
I didn't know he meant call an ambulance for an ice bag. I thought he had one in his patrol car.
Because the park is close to City Hall, the FIRST ambulance got there in a jiffy. The paramedics were checking out his knee when I heard the distinct sound of SIRENS.
Oh, I am NOT KIDDING!
I asked the police man in a "please tell me they are rushing to a real accident" tone where that sound was heading.
He told me they were coming to TRANSPORT him to the hospital.
Excuse me? Did I miss something? HOSPITAL?!?!?!
When the MAST paramedics showed up , the city guys left. Except for the police man.
They were all business. I told them I didn't think he needed a transport and they told me I could sign a waiver "declining transport". And that I could take him on my own.
Now, here is the truth. I didn't think he was hurt all that bad. I was about to tell him to "shake it off" before the police man entered the scene. I probably would have made him walk home. I know, BAD MOM.
Well, they let me decline transport but made me sign papers declaring me a terrible, horrible, no-good mother.
And we were almost free to go.
But we WALKED to the park. For exercise. HUFF!!!
So, I asked the police man if he would help get us home. He had already put our stroller in his trunk. Good. But the paramedics told us they would need to take Tatumn in their AMBULANCE because they had a car seat.
SAFETY FIRST.
So, Tucker was buckled in the police car and Tatumn needed to go in the ambulance. The paramedic them asked me who I wanted to ride with.
Make me pick? Are you kidding me?!?!?
Then the paramedic told me we could all in the ambulance.
Good.
But the police man said he would meet us at the house with our stuff.
Stay with me here...........
So, the police man went down one street and the ambulance went down the other and we met at our house.
JUST AS MY HUSBAND WAS PULLING INTO OUR DRIVEWAY!!!!!
The look on his face made my heart drop to my knees. Bless his heart. I can only imagine what he must have thought.
But the police man was already there describing the story.
But as soon as we got in the house I reassured him it wasn't that bad.
Promise.
All is well now. He got a HUGE dose of Motrin and got his spunk back this afternoon.
And Tucker is doing better too. Thanks for asking.
Next time I skip a workout, I am going to indulge in a donut. Or two. Or three.

4 comments:

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

OH MY WORD Stephanie!!!!

I just relayed your day to my hubby and he's dying laughing :) You're gonna be telling this one to your grandkids!!!

Thanks for sharing, and have a super weekend!

Rachel said...

There is never a dull moment in your day, is there?! Glad to know Tucker wasn't hurt too badly. See you Wednesday!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Dear - what a day! I think I would have absolutely thrown in the towel!
Glad all ended well!

Brian and Nicole said...

Steph-

Are you keeping this all in a book? You know they would love to read the turmoil they put you through going up when they get older.