Saturday, August 2, 2008

Blessed at the Wal-Mart

For those of you who know me, you are familiar with my distaste of Wal-Mart. I even taught a bible study lesson one time centered around an experience at the Wal-Mart check out line. I like the prices there, don't get me wrong. I like it that I can do my grocery and get cleaning supplies in one stop. Honestly, most of our big food needs I get at Sams. So, I pour a lot of our monthly income into the Sams/Wal-Mart mega fortune every month. Is it so wrong then to ask that they please do SOMETHING about the check-out fiasco. Sometimes it seriously takes longer for me to check out than it did to do my grocery shopping. Isn't that wrong? Especially when there are numerous check out lanes not open? And Wal-Mart employees walking about aimlessly?

Oh, I am getting myself worked up. I need to get to the meaning of this blog post before I work myself up in a migraine. AGAIN.

So, I have been eagerly anticipating the GRAND OPENING of a new Target in my area. There is not a Target close to us. This new one is right across the street from the Wal-Mart. I counted down the days until this supposed "super" Target would open it's doors and I could be free from the trappings of W-M. I can't even type the whole name without my head starting to throb.

The day was Tuesday. The GRAND OPENING happened on Sunday. I had waited long enough. We were going. The RED BullsEye had beckoned us and we were going.

We even gave a moment of Thanksgiving before the automatic doors welcomed us in and the allure of Starbucks freshly brewed coffee tempted me to purchase a Grande Carmel Frappucino.

I think I may have skipped down the first couple departments while adding a super cute pair of black shoes to the cart. Along with an array of Princess cups, stationary, wash clothes, and a mini fridge. (for the boys' room)

I marked things off my list and skipped to the grocery department of this new Super target.

ONLY TO BE FOOLED. DUPED. SNICKERED. DECEIVED. LET DOWN. GRAVELY DISAPPOINTED.

Their interpretation of a "SUPER" Target was nothing less than a glorified mini grocery mart. Kind of like a fancy offering by a Quik-Trip. Oh, I was so disgusted.

I left.

Without purchasing a Frappucino.

Or milk, bread, turkey, cheese, and other important grocery items.

I had made a vow not to return to the halls of Hades. And now I was trapped.

Fast forward to today. It is a tax free weekend here and the children needed school supplies and some last minute school accessories.(the boys start school on the 13th) So, I made the announcement that last night we were getting up early and would be out the door before 8 AM so we could get our errands done before the mass population who wanted to save $8.00 on taxes began their day.

We did it. Yeah for us!

I won't go into it again but Target let us down. First time shame on you, second time shame on me. That is all I can say.

So, our only option was to go back to Hades....um I mean Wal-Mart. I actually had to tell the children what Hades meant and that it was spelled Hades not Haiti like they thought. The whole they were mistaking my rantings with a small country and not the gates of He**.

Anyhoo..... here is the sweet part.

I left the boys in an isle ........ doesn't that sound funny? Like if you were to stop there, you would be like....what!? huh?! she snapped!

Keep reading.

I needed to go get something and didn't need an entourage following me. So, when I got back to the isle were my precious boys were still standing, being obedient and not killing each other, they were all smiling. And I noticed that Kip, oh yes he was there too, had tears in his eyes.

I'm not lying.

He told me that just the second before I returned a little, old lady had approached him and asked him how many children he was buying school supplies for. He told her 3. and then she handed him some money.

I'm not kidding.

Somehow I knew who the lady was, I had passed her on my way back to the boys. I turned around to try and find her. I shot up a prayer asking the Lord to find favor with me and allow me to thank her, and I also asked for forgiveness for my ugly heart and attitude.

I found the sweet, little, old lady and hugged her. I tried to tell her how truly thankful I was and that her generous spirit blessed us more than she would ever know but my tears choked me up. She knew, she said, what a big deal it was getting children ready for school and she wanted to pour out a blessing.

Isn't God so good? His love for us has left me once again speechless and amazed. The Lord spoke truth into my weary heart this week assuring me He was still there.
He was still in control.
Still on the throne.
Still our Faithful Provider.
He gave you manna to eat in the dessert, something your fathers had never known, to humble and to test you so that in the end it might go well with you. Deut 8:16

We all left Wal-Mart changed and blessed.

Only God could do that.

Only God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME POST!!! Praise God for little old ladies!

Janice Lois said...
This comment has been removed by the author.