Wednesday, August 20, 2008

2 Years Ago

2 years ago I met Tatumn Hope.
I had waited to meet this baby girl for a long time. My arms ached to hold her. My heart already loved her. Our family had made a place in their hearts for her.

The anticipation was suffocating.

The journey to her was marked with great joy and hard fought faith.
There was a moment when I didn't know if the dream of holding my daughter would come to reality. It was a dark moment in our journey to Tatumn. But one that God carried us through. The truth that I had claimed, I now had to walk out. It was a difficult season, no doubt. But it was also so very sweet, too. It was a season of Manna.

We boarded the plane to China with timid steps. The months preceding had left us wounded but also with a stronger resolve to not let enemy hold us captive to fear. The flight was so long and quiet. I spent a lot of the flight in a running prayer with the Lord. Asking for strength, begging for peace, believing His promise, and asking Him to prepare Tatumn's heart for us.

And then it what seemed like a blur, we were in a steamy government building in Changsha. With a pink butterfly backpack filled with baby necessities.

And then in a flash...she was here. In our arms. She already had a place in our hearts now my arms got to physically feel what my heart already knew.

She was crying. She was terrified. She was tiny. And bald. Perfect.

I remember telling her over and over "I love you." And I will never forget the look on Kip's face. Watching their love story grow is truly one of the Lord's sweetest blessings.

And now 2 years later our days are filled with little girl giggles. Princess cups. Lip Gloss. Pink Shoes. Baby dolls. Pigtails. Hairbows. Tea Parties. Princess Pull-Ups. Peanut Butter Crackers. Almond Milk. Twirling.

I sit here tonight with a gratitude that I cannot put into words. What my heart wants to say, words just seem to fall short.

3 comments:

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Beautiful.

I so admire you for going through that whole process, it is truly amazing.

She is blessed beyond measure to have such a wonderful family.

Love the list of what your days are filled with now :) Priceless.

Lara said...

Steph,

I can't tell you how much I cherish keeping in touch with your family through your blog! As you celebrate this specail anniversary, give all those kiddos great big hugs (large and small alike). We both know all too well that these days are just a vapor.

Hey, wanna check out some of our exciting days some time? www.onemorewade.com

Thanks again for glimpses into your days...I miss the "work-a-men" stories.

Shannon said...

Happy Gotcha day my friend! How can it be 2 years already? How can it be I am going back to China with out you! Wish we could celebrate with you all this weekend, sometime we have to. We miss you!