Thursday, April 24, 2008

Take your child to work day.........or NOT



So, as I drove out of the little boys' school parking lot a rush of guilt washed over me. I noticed as I pulled into the parent drop-off lane that it was less busy than normal.I patted myself on the back for getting the children out the door early and the baby dressed for our morning trip to the gym. I sucked in a breath of spring-time air and accepted the "mother of the year" award silently. Then as we pulled right up to the curb, because there were no other parents dropping off their kids, my middle son noticed an odd littler person standing beside the regular "welcome" teacher.

"oh yeah" he said. Completely deflated.

"it's take your child to work day."

Huh?

"We are only going to have like 8 kids in our class." said my little Tucker-man.

"Bye, mom!" And as I kissed them good-bye and told them to make good choices, I had an internal argument with myself about running into the school and keeping them by my side today. (Daddy's work didn't work out, either!)

As I was finishing up my workout, Tuckers little friend Lia found me and asked where Tucker was. I had to tell her he was at school. She looked at me with a look that announced that I just dropped about 100 notches from the cool mom she thought I once was.

I thought Summer vacation was a permanent take-your-child-to-work-day.
And that my friends is coming in about 6 weeks.

1 comment:

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

*laughing* I'm with ya on the summer thing!

And, LOVE the yellow walls btw!