Thursday, April 24, 2008

Grace


The other morning our first born was just plain tired. Too tired to get up for school. He walked into my room and asked to sleep in for the morning and go to school when the little boys did. I told him to go back to bed and we would restart our morning in about 1 Hour and 1/2.

It was Bible Study day. And really besides sitting on a beach with my man in a quaint little resort, I couldn't think of any other place I wanted to be.

For those of you who do not have teenagers, please take note. Their time clocks change at the entrance into teenage-ville. (Otherwise known as purgatory) I joke. Sometimes. They do not switch on until after 9:30 and crash in the afternoon and then get a second wind about the time you are in a coma for the night. I had parents tell me this when I had toddlers under foot and I clearly forgot about this, until a teenager took up residency in our home.

He had stayed up to late the night before watching TV. But to his defense, he has been training for football at the HIGH-SCHOOL and it is kicking his tail. It is allergy season and he doesn't feel good. He has had MAP testing and he hated it. But he went to school. It is nearing the end of his middle school career and good riddance. From both of us.

None of that needed to be talked about that morning. I just felt it was okay for him to sleep in that morning. Simple as that.

So, as I was preparing breakfast and lunches we had a little time to chat. I told him that this morning was Grace. Simply Grace. I told him I understood, as much as I can, how hard the last couple of weeks (months!) had been. And this was his one grace. He agreed.

I had to run back upstairs and get ready for my day. I was busy drying my hair and putting on make-up. because I was going to Bible Study. With women. To talk about Jesus. Truly, what could be better?! My sweet first born comes into my room and hugs me before he headed out to the door with his dad. He always hugs me before he leaves. He took me by my shoulders and looked at me and said "mom, you look really good." I told him thanks, sometimes I actually get a little fancy, he just sees me before I shower and after I have been to the gym, the grocery store, cleaned the floors, wrestled piles of laundry, and played with a toddler all day. He left and I finished getting fancy and I felt the sweet spirit of God whisper to my heart.

"he didn't tell you that because you let him sleep in this morning. It was grace. Simply Grace."

1 comment:

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

AHHH! This one made me tear up! What a great move on your part! AND I hope my boys hug me and tell me that when they are teenagers :)

You deserved it! Way to go, mom!