Thursday, September 11, 2008

Stuck between a Rock and A Hard Place

That is right where I found myself this morning. I was awaken to a little hot head laying on me. Literally. Little Tatumn had spiked a fever during the night. When I told her to lay back down and go sleep, she answered back "love on me, mama. Love on me." So, she slept on me. Tummy to tummy we slumbered into the morning.
Then the fun stuff started. The ooey-gooey number 2 diapers.
That would dilemma numero uno.
The second dilemma for the day would be that the kitchen was EMPTY. The fridge BARE. The pantry SPARSE. I couldn't say empty because we have a walk-in pantry that holds a mini mart worth's of supplies. So, yes there was food in it but nothing that would make a complete meal. So, I had planned to do my Target, Sams, and Hy-Vee run today.
Because, remember me and Wal-Mart do not have a good relationship.
And this is where the rock and hard place comes in.
What is a mom to do when the other 3 children need juice and milk but the littlest one is having trouble with her diapers maximum absorption levels?
And because I have not shared this with the blog world because I am still trying to get over it. Tatumn had a blow-out of EPIC PROPORTIONS at Hobby Lobby last week.
And I was so afraid of it happening again. 3 big shopping stops would be a lot to handle on a normal day and I knew today my window of opportunity was small. Dangerously small.
So, I caved.
I drove to Wal-Mart.
I was full in spirit because we had a Great Day, yesterday at Bible Study. We are doing Believing God. So, yes I could Believe God for a stress-free and QUICK trip to WM.
Again, the shopping was fine. I even thought to myself "This must be a slow day for shopping at WM. Note to self. Thursdays are not too bad."
Halfway done with the personal hygiene list I caught a whiff of something VERY FOUL. Yes, it was. And I had forgotten Tatumn's diaper bag in the car because it was raining. Although, I had packed good and full just 20 minutes before. It lay in the front seat of my van, untouched.
So, after a quick trip through the baby necessities isle we rushed to the family bathroom. Armed and ready to tackle what lay ahead.
Except we were a little too late. And yes, it soaked through her pants.
More necessities needed. Jeans at Wal-Mart are only $5.00. Who knew?!
So, I mad dashed through my grocery shopping like a champ.
By the time I was ready ( please notice it was I who was ready!) my cart was overflowing. I am not kidding.
And then again. I stood in a long line. All the while the empty registers stood there vacant. Mocking Me. And the other thing, is that there were WM employees milling about. Doing nothing.
So, I found a man who looked like he was in charge. He had a clip board and a walkie-talkie. He may have been the boss. So, staying in line I caught his attention and asked to please open a new lane.
He came over to me and asked if I needed cigarettes.
I am not kidding.
I told him if this checkout process didn't move more quickly, I may take up smoking.
I really did.
He walked away.
And I said (out loud) this checkout process is STUPID. And Tatumn looked up at me with fever showing in her cheeks and asked what was stupid. I told her it was a bad word and I shouldn't have said it. And she said "it's okay, mommy's say bad words." No, it's not okay and I still need to hash it out with the Lord. So, I stood there convicted. And I waited.
Then another man came up to me and told me he would check me out.
Glory.
Although at that moment it wasn't victorious because I had lost my cool. In front of my daughter. Dang It.
Thankfully we made it home before the blow out hit.
Oh, yes it did.

1 comment:

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

I enjoy your blog! This story is awesome...to read...probably not living it...but isn't it fun that at least you had a "very bloggable day"??!!? ha ha