Saturday, January 10, 2009

Smelling like a sugar cookie......

I thought you all (all 7.5 of you!) may enjoy this little funny.

I had my female doctor apt the Friday before Thanksgiving. You know the apt that you just endure. The one that mocks you from the calendar page. The apt that is met with dread. Yeah, that one.

Okay, I was having a good hair day and I wore a cute outfit. One special thing that did thrill me was that I had just purchased my holiday scent. I am a Bath and Body Works girl. I heart that place. It makes me happy. I am also very seasonal with my scents as well. Like Ecclesiastes says "there is a time and season for all things under Heaven." I am sure King Solomon was referencing the seasonal bath and body scents, too. You know he was the wisest of men.

I digress.

Okay, back to my apt. I stepped on the dreaded scale. And was mildly disappointed. Let's just say this. The holidays were approaching and I had already used my reserve pounds. You know how you play around with those 5 pounds. Sometimes its 5 more and sometimes it is 5 less. Yeah well, I had used those and a couple more reserves that were stored away for the next year or two..... or five. As I sat and waited and beat myself up over the stinking number on the scale. I would tell myself my self-worth was not in the number and that my image was in how Christ saw me. Then I would wonder how does He see me?

On and On.

Then I decided I would talk with the Dr and get her advice and opinion.

She walked in (finally) and said "Oh my! You smell so good. You smell just like a sugar cookie!"

Ugh, yeah. Maybe not the best time to bring up my struggle with my weight.

But I did.

I told her that I am just having trouble losing. I work out and eat right. (chuckle!)

So, she told me that really I still fall in the guidelines (for a 7 foot tall man) and that possibly my metabolism had slowed down. She told me the best thing to do would be to talk with a nutritionist. She assured me that she would be able to put together a combination of food choices that would help speed up my metabolism. I know she was pleased with herself for giving me such sound advice.

All the while I am sitting there smelling like a sugar cookie.

I still have not gone to visit a nutritionist. I just haven't had the time.

I haven't worked out either.

I (may) have mono.

But I am concerned. I have made resolutions.

I am going to be proactive.

I am not going to beat myself up over a number (no matter how it is) on a scale.

I am going to remember my identity and self worth is found in Christ alone.

And I switched my Bath and Body flavors.

I did. And I feel like I am on the right path.

I am now using Winter Candy Apple.

Good choice. Fruit. Not sugar cookie.

I wonder about the candy part.

5 comments:

Lois said...

Laughted all the way through. Lois

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

Hey Girl it's me Kim ;) I am laughing so hard right now. But I know what you mean I have that number stairing me in the face everyday too. I just love you girl, and I think you are as cute as a button now! But if you are making changes FOR YOURSELF, then I am happy for you. Let me know if you have found the million dollar cure, I will start saving!
LOVE YA,
KIM

Rachel said...

Thanks a lot! Now I really want a sugar cookie...with a lot of frosting :)

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

HA! Feeling your pain girlie, feeling your pain.